Mattachu's Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Japan - Days 48-49

Well, the past few days have been crappy, to put it lightly
On Wednesday, the girl in my lab who shows me how to do a lot of the stuff asked to speak to me in private. I knew I was screwed. Apparently, my level of commitment to the research is unsatisfactory. And because my experiments keep failing, and most of the people in the lab that I know better are going to be really busy with conferences, theses, etc., I'll be moved to a slightly easier style of work (with the same protein) that anyone can help me with. When she said that my commitment wasn't enough, I nearly broke down there and then; I stay in the lab longer than anyone else from Manchester, so far as I know, and I only bail early to hang out with my friends a few times a week, so it was pretty humiliating. After this, I went to kanji class. Probably a good thing that I only had 5 minutes to get from the lab to the class because otherwise I'd probably have had a little breakdown in one of the toilets. Kanji class was alright, and then we had Japanese class, which was all preparation for Thursday's (or in my case, Friday's) presentation. Then back to the lab, where I finished off my Western blot and it actually turned out pretty well, though because the thickness of two bands which were meant to be the same was quite different, I have to redo it on Monday and Tuesday, meaning I'll be lucky if I can finish in time to get to kaiwa club on Monday -_- I eventually made it home at about 9pm
On Thursday, I was back to doing PCRs, which all failed in various manners, so I need to retry those again sometime next week. At 1.30 there was the second try at the lecture I missed last month on transgenics. As I'm not fluent in Japanese and my tutor was asleep, half of it was lost on me, though I have an English translation of the guide to the law on the subject. And apparently one of my friends has the answers to the report I need to write (it's a fill-in-the-blanks sheet), so hopefully I can get the answers off of him. During this lecture, I felt my first earthquake :-D I missed Japanese class, but my teacher said I can take the test tomorrow. After this lecture, I went to show my supervisor my newly-arranged notebook, only to have most of the protocols I'd written in it altered. I'd've thought the people in the lab would have known what they were talking about -_- I also have to retry a bunch of DNA samples in PCR, so hopefully my supervisor's revised protocol will work
Anyways, it's now very late and I need sleep. I think I've more or less got my presentation memorised for tomorrow, and so far as I'm aware all I have to do besides Japanese class is watch the people in my lab giving presentations all day, then there's some sort of party for the people in my lab in the evening which I'm invited to. I heard a lot of 'nomihodai' being thrown around in the lab today, so I'm a little worried, but I guess we'll see. I'd prefer 'tabehodai' :-p
Nighty night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home